Sunday, September 26, 2010

Here's what I've been up to...



"This... stuff? Oh... ok. I see, you think this has nothing to do with you. You go to your closet and you select out, oh I don't know, that lumpy blue sweater, for instance, because you're trying to tell the world that you take yourself too seriously to care about what you put on your back. But what you don't know is that that sweater is not just blue, it's not turquoise, it's not lapis, it's actually cerulean. You're also blindly unaware of the fact that in 2002, Oscar de la Renta did a collection of cerulean gowns. And then I think it was Yves St. Laurent, wasn't it, who showed cerulean military jackets? And then cerulean quickly showed up in the collections of eight different designers. Then it filtered down through the department stores and then trickled on down into some tragic Casual Corner where you, no doubt, fished it out of some clearance bin. However, that blue represents millions of dollars and countless jobs and so it's sort of comical how you think that you've made a choice that exempts you from the fashion industry when, in fact, you're wearing the sweater that was selected for you by the people in this room. From a pile of stuff." - Miranda Priestly, The Devil Wears Prada. 


This quote is possibly my favourite movie quote, especially that last sentence.  Many people misunderstand the power of the fashion industry, and just how much influence it has. People don't really understand what goes on behind the scenes. On more than one occasion, people have asked me if I just "draw some pretty dresses".  So I've decided to start putting a few pieces from my portfolio up to illustrate a little of what I do... Hope you enjoy! Comments are welcome...

My end of year range: A Gothic Love Tale... inspired by Gothic Architecture.

Front Page

Moodboard

Research Board 1

Research Board 2

Range View

One of the designs. We do each design on separate pages. 
One of the TDs. We do front, back and side views of our garments electronically (Adobe Illustrator), as well as "points of view" which are magnified details of our designs. We also do this for each one of our designs.
We also write an essay, or a press release, describing our thought processes as well as our target market.



Along with these boards, we have a fabric and finishes board, a colour board, and a detail and trims board. 

I hope this demonstrates a little of what we do in fashion school. I'll continue posting more pieces from my portfolio, so watch this space!

"Fashion is architecture: it is a matter of proportions."
-Coco Chanel

No comments:

Post a Comment